On the Duranguesado Route we enter the interior of Bizkaia to enjoy incomparable landscapes. We go through the Duranguesado Valley visiting its beautiful towns surrounded by rugged mountains. After enjoying this green valley, we went up to Alto de Urkiola to enjoy a spectacular landscape between forests and mountains. From the Urkiola Natural Park we go to the bucolic Arratia Valley to stop in Areatza (Villaro), but before that we make a stop to enjoy the Hayedo de Otzarreta, a magical place and one of the most famous forests on the peninsula.
On the Duranguesado Route we can enjoy the following places:
- Elorrio: Villa, on the border with Gipuzkoa, full of history thanks to its past related to the exploitation of iron. Many people emigrated to America and upon their return they built beautiful palaces and manor houses that today we can enjoy in all their splendor. A walk through its medieval streets is a real pleasure.
- Necropolis of Argiñeta: One of the best places to enjoy sarcophagi and funerary stelae dating from the 9th and 10th centuries.
- Via Verde de Arrazola: At the beginning of the last century the mining road that ran through this valley was closed and has been transformed into a walk between grazing animals, beautiful hamlets and large mountains.
- Urkiola Natural Park: At the top of Urkiola we will visit the Santuario de los Santos Antonios, and we will walk through a forest to the viewpoint from which one of the most spectacular views of Bizkaia can be appreciated.
- Otzarreta Forest: A small but wonderful beech forest along a small stream will provide us with one of those magical moments of the day. One of the most photographed in Spain.
- Areatza: Small town, in the Arratia Valley, which preserves the medieval layout of its streets in all its splendor. We will enjoy impressive views of the Gorbea Massif to finish this spectacular excursion.
All this accompanied by an expert guide who will explain everything related to the customs and history of the Basques and without any rush.